Building a Bridge

Indonesia and the Netherlands have been building a bridge of understanding for some time especially for themes of shared history and shared heritage. The truth is that both sides have their own angles which are completely logical. As a cultural heritage professional, I would love to see both angles. That should be ideal. The reality is that ideal is difficult to achieve. So every time I have to face the reality, I accept that the ideal approach would never be achieved or presented. The highest expectation that I could have is that both sides exchange their angles. I can live with it.

Shared history and shared heritage are celebrated or contemplated differently in Indonesia and the Netherlands as long as I can observe as a practitioner in the field in both countries. I save more details about my opinion for other opportunities, but what I would like to say is that difference makes this job attractive for me. I have been doing this job for almost three decades and it is getting more and more attractive. There is never a boring moment. Second, it is fine to have a different angle about shared history as long as both sides have a good intention to cross-check the facts and being interested in listening to other parties. Differences are enrichments, not sources of prejudice and conflicts. 

Why did I write this post? Today I have attended one of the occasions that Indonesians and the Dutch exchanged both angles of the history initiated by Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam. Bonnie Triyana, a historian, and Amir Sidharta, an art curator, represented curators from Indonesia. Harm Stevens and Marion Anker, both are curators of Rijksmuseum represented the Netherlands. A significant number of museum experts, historians, educators, and stakeholders of the exhibition Revolusi! (will be open February 2022) were invited to join the conversation. 

It is a huge challenge to address a revolution as an exhibition, especially if it has an intention to cover both angles. Limited time, limited space, and limited resources. That was also my impression from the discussion today. I complimented all stakeholders who have been doing their best to build a bridge between the two countries. I only hope that the conversation is going to be beyond this exhibition because there are still many gaps, facts, and development to address. 

Bonnie Triyana

Amir Sidharta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REFLECTION ON 2023

RISE AND FALL OF SUGAR INDUSTRY IN INDONESIA

INFILL DEVELOPMENT