THINGS I LIKE IN THE OFFICE

This is not exactly about heritage but related to the the job I do, at least 8 hours per day. When I came to the Netherlands, I needed to learn from scratch about management culture here. It is still going on but in general I have got some idea about it. Then I read an article in the Expatica about this issue and I will give some hints what I like about habits on the work floor here. Something completely different from my own experience in Indonesia.
  • Executives do not usually display their power – the boss is part of the group.
  • The Dutch are known to be forceful, stubborn and tough negotiators, while honesty and reliability are perceived as vitally important.

  • Missing an appointment or being late at a meeting is not only experienced as annoying, but also as unreliable.

  • In the Netherlands, dress codes can be amazingly informal. In the summer, jeans, blouses and t-shirts and even trainers are not uncommon.


The point number one is a magic. Coming from a culture where bowing to authority is a common thing, I had to learn what a true egalitarian on the work floor is. It is not that is something difficult to accept but it almost too good to be true that egalitarian exists in the real world. A positive culture shock.

And the last one, about dress code I like it a lot since I don't have to worry to wear jeans to the office and also nice to see people are so casual despite of their positions and responsibilities. For me this is a sign of less pretentious. You show who you are by your attitude and achievement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REFLECTION ON 2023

RISE AND FALL OF SUGAR INDUSTRY IN INDONESIA

INFILL DEVELOPMENT