BACK TO THE HABITAT

Once a while I joined a conference, like I did last week, two days conference in Mechelen, Belgium, to get back to the heritage habitat and got recharged. Especially the habitat of volunteers who talked about role of civil society in the field of heritage. I have to say this is the first time I mingled with heritage non-government organisation group in Europe. I remembered how exciting the similar meetings with the groups in Asia-Pacific, and I expected the similar experience.

The initiative for this conference has been taken by an existing cooperation network of three Belgian heritage NGOs. This joint action is based on a shared belief in the importance of active citizenship for enhancing democratic values in society, a shared belief in the importance of the role of heritage organisations with regard to local and European policy and a shared commitment to propagating a broader concept of heritage.

A big surprise, I met an old acquitance in heritage from Macedonia. We met in 2002 in Salzburg and now we met again during breakfast in our hotel. What a small world.

To make the world even smaller, I met some contacts also during the conference whom I knew for some time. I could never have a chance to run away too far, couldn't I?

From two days full of presentations and discussions, my favorite went to Raphaël Souchier from France, who talked about Heritage Care through Active Citizenship : What Does It Take? He has a down to earth approach in his project which close to my heart. His projects are heritage preservation in European Cultural Cities and the meaning of heritage in this case is in a broad understanding. One example is how to campaign a slow lifestyle back to the community through slow food with local ingredients and local people. In this way, community is encouraged to produce their local food, appreciating local culinary skills. The economic impact of this effort can not be underestimated.

During his presentation, my mind flew to traditional markets and villages in Indonesia. What a big potentials for heritage preservation. We don't have to learn to be back to the slow life style. We are experts already in enjoying life at our own pace; with our own local culture and food. We take our time to do things (even to the level of world famous rubber time philosophy.) But in positive ways, the people in those traditional markets and villages are on the right track. Probably we could invite Raphaël Souchier to Indonesia to help us appreciate what we have.

Still part of the recharging, I found this text in the city center of Mechelen is also inspiring. Do you think so?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REFLECTION ON 2023

RISE AND FALL OF SUGAR INDUSTRY IN INDONESIA

INFILL DEVELOPMENT